Re: [GIT PULL] x86/misc for 6.5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jun 27 2023 - 16:26:43 EST

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 13:11, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Finally: did I already mention that this is completely untested?

Oh, this part is buggy:

+ asm("addq %1,%0\n\t"
+ "adcq $0,%0"
+ :"=r" (temp64): "r" (temp64_2));

and it needs to show that 'temp64' is an input too.

Dummy me.

The trivial fix is just to make the "=r" be a "+r".

In fact, I should have used "+r" inside update_csum_40b(), but at
least there I did add the proper input constraint, so that one isn't
actively buggy.

And again: I noticed this by looking at the patch one more time. No
actual *testing* has happened. It might still be buggy garbage even
with that "+r". It's just a bit *less* buggy garbage.

I will now go back to my cave and continue pulling stuff, I just had
to do something else for a while. Some people relax with a nice drink
by the pool, I relax by playing around with inline asm.

Linus