Re: Fwd: After kernel 6.3.7 or 6.3.8 b43 driver fails

From: Larry Finger
Date: Mon Jun 26 2023 - 20:31:13 EST

On 6/26/23 16:33, Sardonimous wrote:

On 6/26/23 10:21 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
On 6/26/23 07:44, Sardonimous wrote:
If I were to send you some test patches, could you create a kernel with them applied?

Doubtful.

Sardonimous,

OK, that essentially eliminates  getting DMA to work. The cost of a MacBookPro7 is too much for me to acquire one to debug that issue.

On my PowerBook G4, I also got the failure to connect, thus I should be able to fix that problem, but getting a new kernel with the fix onto your machine will not be easy.

It might be possible to follow the arch instructions for patching the kernel

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel/Arch_build_system

It takes about a day to rebuild the kernel following this procedure.

Is it possible to ssh into your machine, or to use TeamViewer? Those questions do not need an answer now, but think about them.

This is complicated by being in a CGNAT environment.  I usually do this via tailscale.  Will have to think about it.

Larry

Should pio=1 qos=0 cause the problems that it does?  It if is no longer a supported configuration, perhaps it should fail more gracefully.

Setting qos=0 will generate a harmless warning, but the network still works. Using pio=1 should still be supported.

I am bisecting the source. It will take a while as I still have 13 kernels to build and my PowerBook G4 takes about 6 hours per build - it is a lot slower than your computer. At this point, I know that kernel v6.1.0 works, and that v6.2.0-rc4 fails.

If you can find a 6.1 kernel, it should work for you. Once I know the fix, we can explore having you patch and rebuild your 6.3.X kernel.

Larry