Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: user_event fix for 6.4

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Sat Jun 24 2023 - 13:59:12 EST

Linus,

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 22:09:59 -0400
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The code that does the write is basically something being monitored by
> something else that will tell it to start writing. But that something
> else could have the buffer disabled for writes. The use case for this
> is to disable the buffer, enable all the trace events you care about,
> and then enabled the buffer which is the same as enabling all events at
> the same time to get a more coherent trace.

Are you fine with the above explanation? The thing is, writes that are
dropped due to the buffer being disabled shouldn't be a concern of the
producer. It's the consumer that controls that. This is the same
behavior that is used by internal kernel trace events, and we wanted to
keep it consistent.

Would you like me to resend the pull request with an updated change log?

-- Steve