Re: After kernel 6.3.7 or 6.3.8 b43 driver fails

From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2023 - 10:00:39 EST

On 24.06.23 11:29, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2023, at 10:50, Michael Büsch wrote:

>> I doubt it.
>> This patch affects the device initialization code. But the crash is in
>> the transmit path.
>> Can you please double check by manually reverting the patch?
>
> I'm travelling at the moment and can't easily check it, but I would
> expect that my patch has no effect on the generated object code [...]

Michael, Arnd, thx for the replies. To you and everyone else that looked
into this: sorry for the trouble this caused.

The reporter's guess was wrong, as the reporter meanwhile confirmed in
the bugzilla ticket that the problem started to happen earlier.

Bagas, please be a bit more careful and don't blame a specific commit
unless it's was found by bisection, a revert through a lucky guess, a
statement from a developer, or something like that. In cases like this
it would have been better to sent the developers of said commit a quick
mail along the lines of "could you imagine that this change could lead
to the problem the reporter described". But even that might be too much
in a case like this, as too many of such false alarms and inquiries will
make developers start hating or ignoring regression tracking in general
or mails from you or me – and that is something that must be avoided, as
without help from developers regression tracking becomes a lot harder or
impossible.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.

P.S.: Updating regzbot status, while at it:

#regzbot introduced: v6.1..v6.2