Re: net: macb: sparse warning fixes

From: Nicolas Ferre
Date: Fri Jun 23 2023 - 11:43:10 EST

On 23/06/2023 at 17:38, Andrew Lunn wrote:
EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 03:16:23PM +0200, Nicolas Ferre wrote:
Hi Ben,

On 22/06/2023 at 15:05, Ben Dooks wrote:
These are 3 hopefully easy patches for fixing sparse errors due to
endian-ness warnings. There are still some left, but there are not
as easy as they mix host and network fields together.

For example, gem_prog_cmp_regs() has two u32 variables that it does
bitfield manipulation on for the tcp ports and these are __be16 into
u32, so not sure how these are meant to be changed. I've also no hardware
to test on, so even if these did get changed then I can't check if it is
working pre/post change.

Do you know if there could be any impact on performance (even if limited)?

Hi Nicolas

This is inside a netdev_dbg(). So 99% of the time it is compiled
out. The other 1% of the time, your 115200 baud serial port is
probably the bottleneck, not an endianness swap.

Yeah, sure thing: I was not talking about the 3/3 patch where, yes, indeed it doesn't have an importance.

Others in gem_enable_flow_filters() and gem_prog_cmp_regs() look like they are away from hot path anyway, so here again probably no impact.

Regards,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Ferre