RE: Question about reserved_regions w/ Intel IOMMU

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Wed Jun 21 2023 - 04:17:17 EST

I thought the initial vbar value in vfio is copied from physical BAR so
the user may check this value to skip. But it's informal and looks
today Qemu doesn't compose the GPA layout with any information
from there.

> > The problem is that the user may not open all the devices then
> > currently there is no way for it to know the windows on those
> > unopened devices.
> >
> > Curious why nobody complains about this gap before this thread...
>
> Probably because it only matters if you have a real PCIe switch in the
> system, which is pretty rare.

multi-devices group might not be rare given vfio has spent so many
effort to manage it.

More likely the virtual bios may reserve a big enough hole between
[3GB, 4GB] which happens to cover the physical BARs (if not 64bit)
in the group to avoid conflict, e.g.:

c0000000-febfffff : PCI Bus 0000:00
fd000000-fdffffff : 0000:00:01.0
fd000000-fdffffff : bochs-drm