Re: inconsistence in mprotect_fixup mlock_fixup madvise_update_vma

From: Mike Rapoport
Date: Wed Jun 21 2023 - 01:56:43 EST

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 03:29:34PM -0700, Jeff Xu wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 5:58 AM Mike Rapoport <rppt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 09:18:14PM -0400, Liam R. Howlett wrote:
> > > * Jeff Xu <jeffxu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [230613 17:29]:

> > > newflags == oldflags, then we don't need to do anything here, it's
> > > already at the desired mlock. mprotect does this, madvise does this..
> > > probably.. it's ugly.

> > > It's special, merging will fail always. I don't know about splitting,
> > > but I guess we don't want to alter the mlock state on special mappings.

> > > It looks like secretmem is mlock'ed to begin with so they don't want it
> > > to be touched. So, I think they will be treated differently and I think
> > > it is correct.
> >
> > Right, they don't :)
> >
> > secretmem VMAs are always mlocked, they cannot be munlocked and there is no
> > point trying to mlock them again.
> >
> > The mprotect for secretmem is Ok though, so e.g. if we (unlikely) have two
> > adjacent secretmem VMAs in a range passed to mprotect, it's fine to merge
> > them.
> >

> I m thinking/brainstorming below, assuming:
> Address range 1: 0x5000 to 0x6000 (regular mmap)
> Address range 2: 0x6000 to 0x7000 (allocated to secretmem)
> Address range 3: 0x7000 to 0x8000 (regular mmap)
>
> User space call: mlock(0x5000,0x3000)
> range 1 and 2 won't merge.
> range 2 and 3 could merge, when mlock_fixup checks current vma
> (range 3), it is not secretmem, so it will merge with prev vma.

But 2 and 3 have different vm_file, they won't merge.

> user space call: mprotect(0x5000,0x3000)
> range 1 2 3 could merge, all three can have the same flags.
> Note: vma_is_secretmem() isn't checked in mprotect_fixup, same for
> vma_is_dax and get_gate_vma, those doesn't have included in
> vma->vm_flags
>
> Once 1 and 2 are merged, maybe user space is able to use
> munlock(0x5000,0x3000)
> to unlock range 1 to 3, this will include 2, right ? (haven't used the
> code to prove it)

But 1 and 2 won't merge because their vm_file's are different.

> I'm using secretmem as an example here, having 3 different _fixup
> implementations seems to be error prone to me.

The actual decision whether to merge VMAs is taken in vma_merge rather than
by the _fixup functions. So while the checks around vma_merge might be
different in these functions, it does not mean it's possible to wrongly
merge VMA unless there is a bug in vma_merge. So in the end it boils down
to a single core implementation, don't you agree?

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.