f2fs async buffered write patch

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Jun 19 2023 - 16:44:03 EST

Hi,

I came across this patch in a news posting:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs.git/commit/?h=dev&id=d618126911829523e35a61f4a5a4ad159b1b2c8d

which has me a bit worried. As far as I can tell, all that patch does is
set FMODE_BUF_WASYNC, and then just hope that the lower layers handle
the rest?

What happens if iocb->ki_flags & IOCB_NOWAIT is true, and now we do:

generic_perform_write(iocb, from)
->write_begin() <- does this block?
->write_end() <- or this one?
balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited() <- this one surely does...

If you look just one level down the latter to
balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited_flags(), you'll even see the 'flags'
argument documented there.

This looks pretty haphazard and cannot possibly work as-is, so please
get this reverted until f2fs is converted to iomap, or IOCB_NOWAIT is
handled by generic_perform_write() and below.

--
Jens Axboe