Re: Question about reserved_regions w/ Intel IOMMU

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Mon Jun 19 2023 - 06:21:21 EST

On 2023-06-16 19:59, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 05:34:53PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:

If the system has working ACS configured correctly, then this issue should
be moot;

Yes

if it doesn't, then a VFIO user is going to get a whole group of
peer devices if they're getting anything at all, so it doesn't seem entirely
unreasonable to leave it up to them to check that all those devices'
resources play well with their expected memory map.

I think the kernel should be helping here.. 'go figure it out from
lspci' is a very convoluted and obscure uAPI, and I don't see things
like DPDK actually doing that.

IMHO the uAPI expectation is that the kernel informs userspace what
the usable IOVA is, if bridge windows and lack of ACS are rendering
address space unusable then VFIO/iommufd should return it as excluded
as well.

If we are going to do that then all UNAMANGED domain users should
follow the same logic.

We probably have avoided bug reports because of how rare it would be
to see a switch and an UNMANAGED domain using scenario together -
especially with ACS turned off.

So it is really narrow niche.. Obscure enough I'm not going to make
patches :)

The main thing is that we've already been round this once before; we tried it 6 years ago and then reverted it a year later for causing more problems than it solved:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/2/760

Thanks,
Robin.