Re: JFYI: patches in next that might be good to mainline rather sooner than later?

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Sun Jun 18 2023 - 09:40:31 EST

On 18.06.23 10:49, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi Linus, hi Greg,
>
> I got the impression that early stable releases with a huge number of
> patches (like 6.3.2 with ~690 changes) seems to cause a few regressions.
> As you know, those releases usually contain many backports of changes
> merged during the merge window for the following mainline release (e.g.
> 6.4). That made me wonder:
>
> How many patches do we have in linux-next right now that better should
> be merged this cycle (e.g. ahead of the 6.4 release) instead of merging
> them in the merge window for 6.5 and backporting them shortly afterwards?
>
> To check I briefly set down and quickly hacked together a python
> script[1] that looks at linux-next for patches with tags like 'Cc:
> stable...' and 'Fixes: ', as all respectively some (or many?) of those
> will be backported. I made the script ignore a few things, like commits
> from the past eight days and commits that fix changes committed to
> mainline more that a year ago.
>
> I ran this a few minutes ago and it spilled out about 260 changes (about
> 80 of them with a stable tag). I put the results into a table:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OnMrde1e7LBMPhOPJL0Sn9rd3W32mTGls_qGMoZS8z8/edit?usp=sharing

TWIMC, I just updated the data slightly, as I updated the script to also
look for commits that revert changes from the current mainline cycle.

Did that while I was preparing this weeks regression report and noticed
a series of reverts[1] in next where my brain said "hmmm, Andrew merged
those more than a week ago to mm-hotfixes-unstable and -rc7 is due
today; I don't see a pr from him and wonder if these revert are
something that better should be in rc7 to help preventing a rc8?"

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230609081518.3039120-1-qi.zheng@xxxxxxxxx/
noticed it via
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/ZH6K0McWBeCjaf16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

BTW, quick reminder for the data in the spreadsheet, to ensure nobody
gets this wrong:

> [...] And I'm not suggesting to merge them [to mainline].
> It was just a exercise to see if this might be useful.

IOW: the spreadsheet definitely mentioned commits in next that
definitely are not suited for this merge window.

Ciao, Thorsten