Re: inconsistence in mprotect_fixup mlock_fixup madvise_update_vma

From: Mike Rapoport
Date: Wed Jun 14 2023 - 08:58:13 EST

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 09:18:14PM -0400, Liam R. Howlett wrote:
> * Jeff Xu <jeffxu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [230613 17:29]:
> > Hello Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for responding.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 1:16 PM Peter Xu <peterx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, Jeff,

> newflags == oldflags, then we don't need to do anything here, it's
> already at the desired mlock. mprotect does this, madvise does this..
> probably.. it's ugly.

> It's special, merging will fail always. I don't know about splitting,
> but I guess we don't want to alter the mlock state on special mappings.

> > > The special handling you mentioned in mlock_fixup mostly makes sense to me.
> > >
> > > E.g., I think we can just ignore mlock a hugetlb page if it won't be
> > > swapped anyway.
> > >
> > > Do you encounter any issue with above?

> > > IMHO vma_merge() and split_vma() are the "common functions". Copy Lorenzo
> > > as I think he has plan to look into the interface to make it even easier to
> > > use.
> > >
> > The mprotect_fixup doesn't have the same check as mlock_fixup. When
> > userspace calls mlock(), two VMAs might not merge or split because of
> > vma_is_secretmem check, However, when user space calls mprotect() with
> > the same address range, it will merge/split. If mlock() is doing the
> > right thing to merge/split the VMAs, then mprotect() is not ?
>
> It looks like secretmem is mlock'ed to begin with so they don't want it
> to be touched. So, I think they will be treated differently and I think
> it is correct.

Right, they don't :)

secretmem VMAs are always mlocked, they cannot be munlocked and there is no
point trying to mlock them again.

The mprotect for secretmem is Ok though, so e.g. if we (unlikely) have two
adjacent secretmem VMAs in a range passed to mprotect, it's fine to merge
them.

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.