Re: [ PATCH v2 3/3] ASoC: dt-bindings: Add support for Loongson audio card

From: Mark Brown
Date: Tue Jun 13 2023 - 11:23:53 EST

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 03:29:33PM +0100, Conor Dooley wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 02:54:36PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > are also important to the audio configuration. A card binding describes
> > the interconections between the devices in the system and provides
> > identification information for the audio subsystem. This system level
> > audio integration is a physical thing that can be pointed at that
> > requires real software control.

> The bit you were responding to with that was a disingenuous question.
> Probably not fair of me to ask one of a non-native speaker like that,
> when all I wanted to know was whether it was appropriate not to add
> a more specific compatible, or whether this was something invariant.

I don't think that's particularly useful - you'd end up adding a
compatible for every single board which we've got no real intention of
adding except in the cases where we end up being able to merge a more
specific machine driver into a generic one. It'd be more likely to lead
to bikeshedding than anything useful I think.