Re: [RFC] Adding support for setting the affinity of the recording process

From: Yang Jihong
Date: Tue Jun 13 2023 - 03:04:35 EST

Hello,

On 2023/6/13 13:50, Namhyung Kim wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 7:28 PM Yang Jihong <yangjihong1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

On 2023/6/12 23:27, James Clark wrote:

On 12/06/2023 11:26, Yang Jihong wrote:
Hello everyone,

Currently, perf-record supports profiling an existing process, thread,
or a specified command.

Sometimes we may need to set CPU affinity of the target process before
recording:

# taskset -pc <cpus> <pid>
# perf record -p <pid> -- sleep 10

or:

# perf record -- `taskset -c <cpus> COMMAND`

I'm thinking about getting perf to support setting the affinity of the
recording process, for example:

1. set the CPU affinity of the <pid1> process to <cpus1>, <pid2> process
to <cpus2>, and record:

# perf record -p <pid1>/<cpus1>:<pid2>/<cpus2> -- sleep 10

I'm not sure if this is necessary. You can already do this with taskset
when you launch the processes or for existing ones.

Yes, that's what we're doing now, and I'm thinking about whether perf
can support this "taskset" feature.

I agree with James that it looks out of scope of perf tools.
You can always use `taskset` for external processes.

OK, so let's not consider this scenario.

and

2. set CPU affinity of the COMMAND and record:

# perf record --taskset-command <cpus> COMMAND

In doing so, perf, as an observer, actually changes some of the
properties of the target process, which may be contrary to the purpose
of perf tool.

Will we consider accepting this approach?

For #2 I do this sometimes, but I prefix the perf command with taskset
because otherwise there is a small time between when taskset does its
thing and launching the child process that it runs in the wrong place.

Then one issue with the above method is that perf itself gets pinned to
those CPUs as well. I suppose that could influence your application but
I've never had an issue with it.

If you really can't live with perf also being pinned to those CPUs I
would say it makes sense to add options for #2. Otherwise I would just
run everything under taskset and no changes are needed.

If "perf" process and the target process are pinned to the same CPU,
and the CPU usage of the target process is high, the perf data
collection may be affected. Therefore, in this case, we may need to pin
the target process and "perf" to different CPUs.

I think you would still need to have perf itself pinned to the CPUs just
before it does the fork and exec, and then after that it can undo its
pinning. Otherwise you'd still get that small time running on the wrong
cores.

Thanks for your advice, or we can support setting different affinities
for the "perf" process and the target process.

When it comes to controlling `perf`, you can use --threads=<spec>
option which supports fairly complex control for parallelism and
affinity.

Yes, we can ues --threads=<spec>

In addition to the above, or we can simply add a parameter to pin the COMMAND to specific cpus.

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks,
Yang.