Re: [RFC] Adding support for setting the affinity of the recording process

From: Yang Jihong
Date: Mon Jun 12 2023 - 22:03:52 EST

Hello,

Sorry, I forgot to add another recipient in the last email. Send it again.

On 2023/6/12 22:24, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
Em Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 06:26:10PM +0800, Yang Jihong escreveu:
Hello everyone,

Currently, perf-record supports profiling an existing process, thread, or a
specified command.

Sometimes we may need to set CPU affinity of the target process before
recording:

# taskset -pc <cpus> <pid>
# perf record -p <pid> -- sleep 10

or:

# perf record -- `taskset -c <cpus> COMMAND`

I'm thinking about getting perf to support setting the affinity of the
recording process, for example:

not of the 'recording process' but the 'observed process', right?

Yes, it's the process of being observed.

1. set the CPU affinity of the <pid1> process to <cpus1>, <pid2> process to
<cpus2>, and record:

# perf record -p <pid1>/<cpus1>:<pid2>/<cpus2> -- sleep 10

but what would be the semantic for what is being observed? Would this
result in it recording events on that CPU or just for that process (that
now runs just on that CPU)?

just for the process running on a specific CPU.

Without affinity setting that could mean: observe just that process when
it runs on that CPU.

But could you please spell out the use case, why do you need this, is
this so common (for you) that you repeatedly need to first taskset, then
perf, etc?

As Peter said, big.LITTLE is a common scenario where a process may behave differently on different CPUs.

There are other scenarios. For example, if I run a server and a client and do not set affinity for them, they may sometimes run on the same NUMA node or on different NUMA nodes due to scheduling reasons.
In this case, the performance may fluctuate due to reasons such as cache miss. When analyzing performance problems, we sometimes care about stability.

and

2. set CPU affinity of the COMMAND and record:

# perf record --taskset-command <cpus> COMMAND

In doing so, perf, as an observer, actually changes some of the properties
of the target process, which may be contrary to the purpose of perf tool.

Up for discussion, but I don't think this is that much a problem if it
streamlines common observability sessions/experimentations.

If the perf is used to set the affinity of the observed process, it actually interferes with some behavior of the target process (such as affecting scheduling).
In this scenario, the perf is not just a simple observer. Therefore, I am not sure whether this behavior is acceptable.

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks,
Yang.