Re: [6.5-rc5 regression] core dump hangs (was Re: [Bug report] fstests generic/051 (on xfs) hang on latest linux v6.5-rc5+)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 12 2023 - 12:45:52 EST

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 9:42 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, it makes sense for the bug, but that whole
>
> preempt_disable();
> current->flags &= ~PF_IO_WORKER;
> preempt_enable();
>
> thin in io_worker_exit() does *not* make sense to me.

Oh, it looks like that goes back to the original io_worker
implementation, when io_worker_start() would set the PF_IO_WORKER bit,
and io_worker_exit() would clear it, and they were otherwise created
like normal kthreads.

It *looks* all entirely historical to me, and removing those three
lines as left-over baggage smells like the right thing.

Linus