Re: RO mount of ext4 filesystem causes writes

From: Bagas Sanjaya
Date: Mon Jun 12 2023 - 02:28:05 EST

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 10:32:53PM -0700, Sean Greenslade wrote:
> Hello, folks.
>
> I noticed a change in behavior of ext4 in recent kernels. I make use of
> several luks loopback images formatted as ext4 that I mount read-only
> most of the time. I use rsync to synchronize the backing images between
> machines. In the past, mouning the images as read-only would not touch
> the backing image contents at all, but recently this changed. Every
> mount, even ones that are RO from the start, will cause some small
> writes to the backing image and thus force rsync to scan the whole file.
>
> I confirmed that the issue is still present on v6.4.rc6, so I performed
> a bisect and landed on the following commit:
>
> > eee00237fa5ec8f704f7323b54e48cc34e2d9168 is the first bad commit
> > commit eee00237fa5ec8f704f7323b54e48cc34e2d9168
> > Author: Ye Bin <yebin10@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Tue Mar 7 14:17:02 2023 +0800
> >
> > ext4: commit super block if fs record error when journal record without error
>
> That certainly looks like a likely cause of my issue, but I'm not
> familiar enough with the ext4 code to diagnose any further. Please let
> me know if you need any additional information, or if you would like me
> to test anything.

Can you show dmesg when regression happens?

Ye: It looks like this regression is caused by your commit. Would you like
to take a look on it?

Anyway, thanks for the bug report. I'm adding it to regzbot:

#regzbot ^introduced: eee00237fa5ec8
#regzbot title: commit super block writes even in read-only filesystems

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara