Re: Sometimes DVB broken with commit 6769a0b7ee0c3b

From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2023 - 05:38:57 EST

Hi, Thorsten here, the Linux kernel's regression tracker.

On 30.05.23 13:12, Thomas Voegtle wrote:

> I have the problem that sometimes my DVB card does not initialize
> properly booting Linux 6.4-rc4.
> This is not always, maybe in 3 out of 4 attempts.
> When this happens somehow you don't see anything special in dmesg, but
> the card just doesn't work.
>
> Reverting this helps:
> commit 6769a0b7ee0c3b31e1b22c3fadff2bfb642de23f
> Author: Hyunwoo Kim <imv4bel@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Thu Nov 17 04:59:22 2022 +0000
>
>     media: dvb-core: Fix use-after-free on race condition at dvb_frontend
>

> I have:
> 03:00.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Conexant Systems, Inc.
> CX23887/8
> PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb [14f1:8880] (rev 04)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. Device [0070:c138]
>         Kernel driver in use: cx23885

Hmmm, that was posted last Tuesday and received not a single reply. :-/

Hyunwoo Kim: could you please look at it, as it's a regression caused by
a commit of yours (one that would be good to solve before 6.4 is
finalized!)? And in case you are unable to do so let us know?

But FWIW:

Mauro: I wonder if this is something you or someone else has to look
into, as Hyunwoo Kim posted a few times per months to Linux lists, but
according to a quick search on lore hasn't posted anything since ~two
months now. :-/

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.

#regzbot poke