RE: Bug in short splice to socket?

From: David Laight
Date: Thu Jun 01 2023 - 07:01:55 EST

From: David Howells
> Sent: 30 May 2023 23:27
>
> Jakub Kicinski <kuba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Will the TLS selftests under tools/.../net/tls.c exercise this?
>
> Interesting. Now that you've pointed me at it, I've tried running it. Mostly
> it passes, but I'm having some problems with the multi_chunk_sendfile tests
> that time out. I think that splice_direct_to_actor() has a bug. The problem
> is this bit of code:
>
> /*
> * If more data is pending, set SPLICE_F_MORE
> * If this is the last data and SPLICE_F_MORE was not set
> * initially, clears it.
> */
> if (read_len < len)
> sd->flags |= SPLICE_F_MORE;
> else if (!more)
> sd->flags &= ~SPLICE_F_MORE;
>
> When used with sendfile(), it sets SPLICE_F_MORE (which causes MSG_MORE to be
> passed to the network protocol) if we haven't yet read everything that the
> user requested and clears it if we fulfilled what the user requested.
>
> This has the weird effect that MSG_MORE gets kind of inverted. It's never
> seen by the actor if we can read the entire request into the pipe - except if
> we hit the EOF first. If we hit the EOF before we fulfil the entire request,
> we get a short read and SPLICE_F_MORE and thus MSG_MORE *is* set. The
> upstream TLS code ignores it - but I'm changing this with my patches as
> sendmsg() then uses it to mark the EOR.

Isn't MSG_MORE supposed to be just a hint that more data will follow.
So you'd expect a final send with MSG_MORE to get sent, but possibly
after a short timeout.

Using it as a record marker seems wrong.

I'm not sure how to clear 'Oh bugger I set MSG_MORE but have no data'
to avoid the timeout.
A zero length semdmsg() won't DTRT with protocols like SCTP.
(Does splice even do anything sensible with SCTP?)

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)