Re: [ANNOUNCE / RFC] Periodic Upstream Call for KVM

From: Sean Christopherson
Date: Mon May 22 2023 - 20:39:46 EST

On Mon, May 22, 2023, Chao Peng wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 04:10:27PM -0700, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> > PT (6am)
> > MT (7am)
> > CT (8am)
> > ET (9am)
> > WET (2pm)
> > CET (3pm)
> > EET (4pm)
> > EST (5pm)
> > CST (9pm)
> > NZST (1am)
>
> This looks good, 9pm is not too late for PRC people.
>

> > The obvious alternative would be to invert the schedule and have the sync be in
> > the evening/night for Pacific Time, but to get 6am for ARM folks, we end up with:
> >
> > PT (10pm)
> > MT (11pm)
> > CT (12pm)
> > ET (1am)
> > WET (6am)
> > CET (7am)
> > EET (8am)
> > EST (9am)
> > CST (1pm)
> > NZST (5pm)
> >
> > which is quite unreasonable for pretty much everyone based in the US. Earlier
> > than 6am for WET is likewise unreasonable and will result in people not attending.
> > 9pm for China is also unreasonable, but I hope that it's not completely ridiculous
> > and is doable enough that people can at least attend on an as-needed basis. Sorry
> > Kai, as the sole representative from New Zealand, you get hosed :-(
> >
> > Wednesday because holidays and (short) vacations most often land at the beginning
> > and end of the week.
> >
> > 60 minutes because I'm not waking up at dawn for anything less, and anything
> > more will likely have dimishing returns, especially for folks on the edges of
> > the time zone table.
> >
> > Lastly, the big unknown is which video communication software to use. My default
> > is obviously Google Meet, but I've been told that Meet is unusable in some
> > countries. :-/ My only requirements (beyond basic, obvious functionality) are
> > that (a) there's a web interface (no install required) and that (b) the calls can
> > be recorded.
>
> Google Meet should work for me, but may not for every (PRC) people.
> Besides no installation, if no registration would be even better ;)
> Maybe we can run with Google Meet for the first session(s) if you
> havn't get one in your mind, it's not too hard to switch to alternative
> at a later time right?

Ya, switching should be no problem. Let's try Google Meet and go from there.
Thanks much for the input!

> > To kick things off, I am leaning toward a "launch" date of May 24th (Pacific),
> > with KVM guest private mem (a.k.a. UPM) as the first topic.
>
> Thanks for driving this, yes for UPM I would definitely join.

I'm going to push out the inagaural date one week until May 31st, partly to give
more time for this to get widely disseminated, but mostly because I need to write
down my various thoughts on where to go with UPM, and I don't think I'll get that
done before Wednesday. That'll also give me time to setup a public calendar so
that people can get reminders and whatnot.