Re: patches to move ksmbd and cifs under new subdirectory

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 22 2023 - 13:33:55 EST

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 9:33 AM Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Following up on the email thread suggestion to move fs/ksmbd and
> fs/cifs and fs/smbfs_common all under a common directory fs/smb, here
> is an updated patchset for that (added one small patch).

Looks fine to me.

I wouldn't have noticed the typo that Tom Talpey mentioned (misspelled
"common" in the commit message of the first patch), and that
SMB_CLIENT config variable is odd.

I'm actually surprised that Kconfig didn't complain about the

select SMB_CLIENT

when there is no actual declaration of that Kconfig variable, just a random use.

That thing seems confusing and confused, and isn't related to the
renaming, so please drop the new random SMB_CLIENT config variable. If
you want to introduce a new Kconfig variable later for some reason,
that's fine, but please don't mix those kinds of changes up with pure
renames..

Linus