Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux v2.39

From: Karel Zak
Date: Thu May 18 2023 - 06:24:11 EST

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 03:48:54PM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> This is a very exciting release! There's good reason for us to be happy
> imho. This is the first release of util-linux with comprehensive support
> for the new mount api which is very exciting.

We will see how many things in libmount and kernel are not ready ;-)

> A part of that is of course the support for idmapped mounts and the
> ability to recursively change mount properties, i.e., idempotently
> change the mount properties of a whole mount tree.
>
> It's also great to see support for disk sequence numbers via the
> BLKGETDISKSEQ ioctl and the port to util-linux to rely on

BLKGETDISKSEQ is supported in the blockdev command only.

Lennart has also idea to support it in libmount to verify devices
before the filesystem is attached to VFS.

https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/issues/1786

That's something we can work on in the next release.

> statx(AT_STATX_DONT_SYNC|AT_NO_AUTOMOUNT) to avoid tripping over
> automounts or hung network filesystems as we just recently discussed
> this!
>
> Thanks for working on this and hopefully we can add the missing pieces
> of the new mount api in the coming months!

I would like to make the v2.40 development cycle shorter. The v2.39
cycle was excessively long and large.

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>