Re: [RFC 0/1] sched/fair: Consider asymmetric scheduler groups in load balancer

From: Dietmar Eggemann
Date: Tue May 16 2023 - 12:35:47 EST

On 15/05/2023 13:46, Tobias Huschle wrote:
> The current load balancer implementation implies that scheduler groups,
> within the same scheduler domain, all host the same number of CPUs.
>
> This appears to be valid for non-s390 architectures. Nevertheless, s390
> can actually have scheduler groups of unequal size.

Arm (classical) big.Little had this for years before we switched to flat
scheduling (only MC sched domain) over CPU capacity boundaries for Arm
DynamIQ.

Arm64 Juno platform in mainline:

root@juno:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/topology/cluster_cpus_list
0,3-5
1-2
1-2
0,3-5
0,3-5
0,3-5

root@juno:~# cat /proc/schedstat | grep ^domain | awk '{print $1, $2}'

domain0 39 <--
domain1 3f
domain0 06 <--
domain1 3f
domain0 06
domain1 3f
domain0 39
domain1 3f
domain0 39
domain1 3f
domain0 39
domain1 3f

root@juno:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/sched/domains/cpu0/domain*/name
MC
DIE

But we don't have SMT on the mobile processors.

It looks like you are only interested to get group_weight dependency
into this 'prefer_sibling' condition of find_busiest_group()?

We in (classical) big.LITTLE (sd flag SD_ASYM_CPUCAPACITY) remove
SD_PREFER_SIBLING from sd->child so we don't run this condition.