Marvell NFC timings on CN9130

From: Chris Packham
Date: Tue May 16 2023 - 00:47:00 EST

Hi Miquel, Thomas,

A hardware colleague reported a concern to me about a new design we have
using the Marvell CN9130 SoC (which I think was called Armada-8K before
they rebranded).

Basically their concern is that the tWC timing they observe is faster
(~18ns) than the documented minimum in the hardware datasheet for the
CN9130 (25ns). Aside from not meeting the datasheet spec we've not
observed any other issue (yet).

I notice in the marvell_nand.c driver that marvell_nfc_init() sets the
NAND Clock Frequency Select bit (0xF2440700:0) to 1 which runs according
to the datasheet the NAND flash at 400MHz . But the calculations in
marvell_nfc_setup_interface() use the value from
clk_get_rate(nfc->core_clk) which is still 250MHz so I'm wondering if
maybe the fact that the NAND flash is being run faster is having an
impact on timings that are calculated around the core_clk frequency.

Do you think that the timings calculations should take the NAND Clock
Frequency Select setting into account?

Thanks,
Chris