Re: vPASID capability for VF

From: Alex Williamson
Date: Thu May 11 2023 - 11:47:16 EST

On Thu, 11 May 2023 07:27:27 +0000
"Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

So you're suggesting that the IOMMU setup for the VF to make use of
PASID would not occur until or unless PASID Enable is set in the
virtualized VF PASID capability and that support would be torn down
when PASID Enable is cleared?

This is still not strictly in adherence with the definition of the
PASID Enable bit which specifies that this bit controls whether the
endpoint is able to send or receive TLPs with the PASID prefix, which
clearly virtualization interacting with the IOMMU to block or allow
PASIDs from the VF RID cannot change. Is it sufficient?

For example we can't use the vPASID capability to make any guarantees
about in-flight PASID TLPs when sequencing IOMMU operations since we
can't actually prevent VFs using PASID so long as PASID Enable is set
on the PF.

> In another thread it's suggested that enabling the PASID cap should be
> opted in by device driver instead of by iommu driver.
>
> If that happens then vfio-pci may want to call into the PF driver
> when the vPASID cap is enabled in VF. If the physical PASID cap in PF
> hasn't been enabled then enable it. The PF driver will track which VF's
> or its own clients require the PASID cap and keep it enabled until
> no one wants it.

Why wouldn't we just require PASID support to be enabled and remain
enabled on the PF or else we don't expose the virtualized PASID
capability on the VF?

I don't particularly like the idea of allowing userspace VF drivers to
vote on the PASID Enable state of the PF driver. The PF driver should
be able to control the policy whether PASID support is enabled,
especially given the interaction with ATS, as noted by Baolu. Thanks,

Alex