Re: [RFC v2 2/3] pinctrl: Implementation of the generic scmi-pinctrl driver

From: Oleksii Moisieiev
Date: Thu May 11 2023 - 09:19:19 EST

Hello Andy,

On 05.05.23 23:35, andy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 01:26:37PM +0000, Oleksii Moisieiev kirjoitti:
>> scmi-pinctrl driver implements pinctrl driver interface and using
>> SCMI protocol to redirect messages from pinctrl subsystem SDK to
>> SCP firmware, which does the changes in HW.
>>
>> This setup expects SCP firmware (or similar system, such as ATF)
>> to be installed on the platform, which implements pinctrl driver
>> for the specific platform.
>>
>> SCMI-Pinctrl driver should be configured from the device-tree and uses
>> generic device-tree mappings for the configuration.

>> +#include <linux/device.h>
>> +#include <linux/err.h>
>
>> +#include <linux/of.h>
>
> I do not see any user of this header. Do you?

Yes, thanks. Removing

>> +#include <linux/module.h>
>> +#include <linux/seq_file.h>
>> +
>> +#include <linux/pinctrl/machine.h>
>> +#include <linux/pinctrl/pinconf.h>
>> +#include <linux/pinctrl/pinconf-generic.h>
>> +#include <linux/pinctrl/pinctrl.h>
>> +#include <linux/pinctrl/pinmux.h>
>
>> +#include <linux/scmi_protocol.h>
>> +#include <linux/slab.h>
>
> Please, move these two to the upper group of the generic headers.

Thanks, fixed.

>> +struct scmi_pinctrl_funcs {
>> + unsigned int num_groups;
>> + const char **groups;
>> +};
>
> Please, use struct pinfunction.

I can't use pincfunction here because it has the following groups
definition:
const char * const *groups;

Which is meant to be constantly allocated.
So I when I try to gather list of groups in
pinctrl_scmi_get_function_groups I will receive compilation error.

>> +struct scmi_pinctrl {
>
>> + struct scmi_pinctrl_funcs *functions;
>> + unsigned int nr_functions;
>
>> + char **groups;
>> + unsigned int nr_groups;
>
> I'm not sure what is the difference to what "functions" above represent.

The difference is that each function has a list of group names, so we
have to get name for each group in this function. I'm saving array to
avoid extra SCMI calls to gather groups in function.

>> +};

>> +static void pinctrl_scmi_pin_dbg_show(struct pinctrl_dev *pctldev,
>> + struct seq_file *s,
>> + unsigned int offset)
>> +{
>> + seq_puts(s, DRV_NAME);
>> +}
>
> What is the usefulness of this method?

Removed

>> +static int pinctrl_scmi_pinconf_group_get(struct pinctrl_dev *pctldev,
>> + unsigned int _pin,
>> + unsigned long *config)
>> +{
>> + int ret;
>> + struct scmi_pinctrl *pmx;
>> + enum pin_config_param config_type;
>> + unsigned long config_value;
>> +
>> + if (!pctldev)
>> + return -EINVAL;
>> +
>> + pmx = pinctrl_dev_get_drvdata(pctldev);
>> +
>> + if (!pmx || !pmx->ph || !config)
>> + return -EINVAL;
>> +
>> + config_type = pinconf_to_config_param(*config);
>> +
>> + ret = pinctrl_ops->get_config(pmx->ph, _pin, GROUP_TYPE,
>> + config_type, (u32 *)&config_value);
>
> Endianess issue. This is, while likely working code, still ugly.

Fixed.

>> + if (ret)
>> + return ret;
>> +
>> + *config = pinconf_to_config_packed(config_type, config_value);
>> +
>> + return 0;
>> +}

>> + err:
>
> err_free.

Fixed

>> + kfree(pmx->pins);
>> + pmx->nr_pins = 0;
>> +
>> + return ret;

>> +static const struct scmi_device_id scmi_id_table[] = {
>> + { SCMI_PROTOCOL_PINCTRL, "pinctrl" },
>
>> + { },
>
> No comma for the terminator entry.

Removed.

>> +};

>> + pinctrl_ops = handle->devm_protocol_get(sdev, SCMI_PROTOCOL_PINCTRL,
>> + &ph);
> > Can be on one line.

Fixed

>> + if (IS_ERR(pinctrl_ops))
>> + return PTR_ERR(pinctrl_ops);

>> + if (pmx->nr_functions) {
>> + pmx->functions =
>> + devm_kcalloc(&sdev->dev, pmx->nr_functions,
>> + sizeof(*pmx->functions),
>> + GFP_KERNEL);
>> + if (!pmx->functions) {
>> + ret = -ENOMEM;
>> + goto clean;
>
> Interleaving devm_*() with non-devm_*() in such order is not a good idea.

Thanks, fixed.

>> + }
>> + }
>> +
>> + if (pmx->nr_groups) {
>> + pmx->groups =
>> + devm_kcalloc(&sdev->dev, pmx->nr_groups,
>> + sizeof(*pmx->groups),
>> + GFP_KERNEL);
>> + if (!pmx->groups) {
>> + ret = -ENOMEM;