Re: [RFD] posix-timers: CRIU woes

From: Pavel Tikhomirov
Date: Thu May 11 2023 - 05:53:39 EST

On 11.05.2023 17:36, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Thu, May 11 2023 at 11:17, Pavel Tikhomirov wrote:
On 10.05.2023 16:16, Andrey Vagin wrote:

So because of that half thought out user space ABI we are now up the
regression creek without a paddle, unless CRIU can accomodate to a
different restore mechanism to lift this restriction from the kernel.

If you give us a new API to create timers with specified id-s, we will
figure out how to live with it. It isn't good to ask users to update
CRIU to work on new kernels, but here are reasons and event improvements
for CRIU, so I think it's worth it.

I agree, any API to create timers with specified id-s would work for new
CRIU versions.

The real question is whether this will cause any upheaval when a new
kernel meets a non-updated CRIU stack.

Creation of posix timer would hang forever in this loop https://github.com/checkpoint-restore/criu/blob/33dd66c6fc93c47213aaa0447a94d97ba1fa56ba/criu/pie/restorer.c#L1185 if old criu is run on new kernel (without consecutive id allocation) AFAICS.

You know the UABI regression rules of the kernel...

Thanks,

tglx

--
Best regards, Tikhomirov Pavel