Re: mainline build failure due to cf21f328fcaf ("media: nxp: Add i.MX8 ISI driver")

From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Wed May 10 2023 - 05:03:11 EST

On 10.05.23 10:05, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Mon, 8 May 2023 09:27:28 -0700
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>> On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 3:55 AM Linux regression tracking #adding
>> (Thorsten Leemhuis) <regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the report. The fixes (see the mail from Laurent) apparently
>>> are still not mainlined (or am I missing something?), so let me add this
>>> report to the tracking to ensure this is not forgotten:
>>
>> Gaah. I was intending to apply the patch directly before rc1, but then
>> I forgot about this issue.
>>
>> Mauro: I'm currently really *really* fed up with the media tree. This
>> exact same thing happened last merge window, where the media tree
>> caused pointless build errors, and it took way too long to get the
>> fixes the proper ways.
> [...]
>
> In the specific case of this fixup patch, I didn't identify it as a build
> issue, so it followed the usual workflow. We have a huge number of patches
> for media, and it usually takes some time to handle all of them. This one
> just followed the normal flow, as it didn't break Jenkins builds nor the
> subject mentioned anything about build breakage.

Makes me wonder again if we should start adding

CC: regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

to any patches that fix regressions, that way maintainers and reviewers
would have something to filter for -- and I would become aware of all
regression fixes in the work, too.

Ciao, Thorsten

P.S.: BTW, let me tell regzbot that Linus merged the fix for the build
failure.

#regzbot fix: ba0ad6ed89f

FWIW, the one for the gcc warnings[1] Laurent mentioned elsewhere in
this thread is not merged yet afaics.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230418092007.2902984-1-arnd@xxxxxxxxxx/