Re: Cannot boot an i386-UEFI thinkpad lenovo tablet-2

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Tue May 09 2023 - 16:48:32 EST

On 5/9/23 13:37, Corentin Labbe wrote:
> Le Tue, May 09, 2023 at 07:01:02AM -0700, Dave Hansen a écrit :
>> On 5/8/23 23:29, Corentin Labbe wrote:
>>> The tablet has only one port, so I use a hub for keyboard and USB key.
>>> Immediatly after booting Linux, all hub port light goes to off.
>> If it's dying in the installer, can you boot it to a shell or rescue
>> media? Are you getting any kernel messages on the screen before the
>> installer?
>>
> Sorry my sentence was not precise ("after booting linux"),
>
> It die after pressing enter on grub menu.
> No kernel message, nothing new on screen.
> Only visible change are USB light off.
>
> I have really no clue.

A lot of distros set the 'quiet' option to _keep_ the kernel from
spewing messages at boot. Ubuntu sets "quiet splash", for instance.

Going into the grub menu and killing the 'quiet' and replacing it with
'debug' is a good place to start. earlyprintk=vga can also help if
things are still blank at that point. I thought we used to have an
earlyprintk=efi, but it seems to have vanished at some point.

But, you've got a bit of oddball hardware. It's from the _far_ extreme
end of 32-bit-only hardware. The fact that it had Windows on it isn't a
great sign. There could be a BIOS bug that trips Linux up but Windows
is perfectly happy with. There was definitely a sad period of time
where folks were not interested in fixing issues like that.