Re: tpm_sis IRQ storm on ThinkStation P360 Tiny

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri May 05 2023 - 13:19:33 EST

On Fri, May 05, 2023 at 08:05:53AM -0700, Jerry Snitselaar wrote:

> It will poll like it has for years with tpm_tis.interrupts=0 so that
> should be working as it was prior to 6.3 when interrupts were re-enabled
> for tpm_tis. Are you seeing this with 6.2 as well? IIRC with that Thinkpad
> case is when it was first realized that interrupts had accidentally been
> disabled for tpm_tis at one point by a change.

v6.2 gets me:

[ 8.888394] tpm_tis MSFT0101:00: 2.0 TPM (device-id 0x1D, rev-id 54)
[ 8.891123] tpm tpm0: [Firmware Bug]: TPM interrupt not working, polling instead

> I guess myself or someone else needs to revisit catching this in
> general when the irq storm happens, and disabling interrupts for
> tpm_tis. I think last time I was incorporating some feedback from
> tglx, let my adhd get me distracted with some other issue and never
> returned to it.
>
> The diff below should (compile tested) work for the P360, but
> tpm_tis.interrupts=0 is a good work-around.

Yep, I suppose it would. I'll keep the kernel parameter for now, that's
easier than making sure I consistently apply that patch.

Thanks!