Re: [RFC v1 0/4] Input: support virtual objects on touchscreens

From: Peter Hutterer
Date: Thu May 04 2023 - 00:29:44 EST

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 12:23:14PM -0500, Jeff LaBundy wrote:
> Hi Javier,
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 05:59:42PM +0200, Javier Carrasco wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 25.04.23 18:02, Jeff LaBundy wrote:
> > > Hi Thomas,

> > > That example seems a kind of fringe use-case in my opinion; I think the
> > > gap filled by this RFC is the case where a touchscreen has a printed
> > > overlay with a key that represents a fixed function.
> >
> > Exactly, this RFC addresses exactly such printed overlays.
> > >
> > > One problem I do see here is something like libinput or multitouch taking
> > > hold of the input device, and swallowing the key presses because it sees
> > > the device as a touchscreen and is not interested in these keys.
> >
> > Unfortunately I do not know libinput or multitouch and I might be
> > getting you wrong, but I guess the same would apply to any event
> > consumer that takes touchscreens as touch event producers and nothing else.
> >
> > Should they not check the supported events from the device instead of
> > making such assumptions? This RFC adds key events defined in the device
> > tree and they are therefore available and published as device
> > capabilities. That is for example what evtest does to report the
> > supported events and they are then notified accordingly. Is that not the
> > right way to do it?
>
> evtest is just that, a test tool. It's handy for ensuring the device emits
> the appropriate input events in response to hardware inputs, but it is not
> necessarily representative of how the input device may be used in practice.

ftr, I strongly recommend "libinput record" over evtest since it can be
replayed. And for libinput testing "libinput debug-events" to see what
comes out of libinput.

> I would encourage you to test this solution with a simple use-case such as
> Raspbian, and the virtual keys mapped to easily recognizable functions like
> volume up/down.
>
> Here, you will find that libinput will grab the device and declare it to be
> a touchscreen based on the input events it advertises. However, you will not
> see volume up/down keys are handled.

that would be a bug in libinput. libinput doesn't classify devices. It
uses *internal* backends but the backend for keyboard and touchscreen
devices is the same. So as long as your device advertises the various
EV_KEY and EV_ABS bit correctly, things should just work. If that's not
the case for a device please file a bug.

It's still "better" to split it up into different event nodes because
a lot of userspace may not be able to handle touchscreen+keyboard
devices but at least at the libinput level this shouldn't be a problem.

And the xf86-input-libinput driver splits up such devices at the X
level, so even where a device is touchscreen + keyboard you would end up
with two X devices with separate capabilities so they fit into the X
"everything is either a pointer or a keyboard" worldview.

Cheers,
Peter