Re: [GIT PULL] x86/mm for 6.4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 03 2023 - 12:38:28 EST

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 6:17 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And in the process I found another broken
> thing:__untagged_addr_remote() is very very buggy.
>
> The reason?
>
> long sign = addr >> 63;
>
> that does *not* do at all what '__untagged_addr()' does, because while
> 'sign' is a signed long, 'addr' is an *unsigned* long.
>
> So the actual shift ends up being done as an unsigned shift, and then
> just the result is assigned to a signed variable.
>
> End result? 'sign' ends up being 0 for user space (intentional) or 1
> for kernel space (not intentional)..

Looking around, this same bug used to exists for the normal
(non-remote) case too, until it was accidentally fixed when changing
that to use inline asm and the alternatives code.

At that point the non-remote case got an explicit 'sar' instruction,
and the result really was ~0 for kernel mode addresses.

> Why does it do that "shift-by-63" game there, instead of making
> tlbstate_untag_mask just have bit #63 always set?

And it turns out that bit #63 really _is_ always set, so I think the
solution to this all is to remove the sign games in untag_addr()
entirely.

Untagging a kernel address will "corrupt" it, but it will stay a
kernel address (well, it will stay a "high bit set" address), which is
all we care about anyway.

If somebody actually tries to untag a kernel address, that would be a
bug anyway, as far as I can tell.

So I'm going to just remove the 'sign' games entirely. They are
completely broken in 'untagged_addr_remote()', they _used_ to be
completely broken in 'untagged_addr()', and it looks like it's all
unnecessary.

Linus