Re: linux-6.4 alsa sound broken

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed May 03 2023 - 02:06:16 EST

On Wed, 03 May 2023 06:37:48 +0200,
Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> On 5/3/23 11:34, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> >> Just send .. in another email. If the atttachment got stripped off,
> >> please let me know.
> >>

> > I don't see your attachment. Can you please post the link
> > to your test file on file storage hosting instead?
> >

> Oops, I don't see the attachment on your reply at [1]. Sorry for the
> inconvenience.
>
> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAAJw_ZveoPfnBsSkHZqmLiVWATcOosR--6Ds4cdekdi=t1yV7A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

I see no attachment of the recorded sound. In the mail above, only
Side_Right.wav was attached, and this is the same file in
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/.

But, I wonder how you played a mono channel file with "hw:1,0" PCM.
Isn't this a HD-audio device?
Usually HD-audio codec can't play a mono file. For example, on my
machine with a Realtek codec fails like:

% aplay -Dhw:0,0 Side_Right.wav
Playing WAVE 'Side_Right.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:1358: Channels count non available

So, if it works on yours, please show the output of playback with
aplay -v option. This will show more details.

Last but not least, please double-check that the problem is really
gone after reverting the commit 9f656705c5fa. The commit is about the
auto-silencing, and it should be irrelevant unless the application
gives non-zero silence_size sw_params, and aplay doesn't set up it at
all.

thanks,

Takashi