Re: mbind MPOL_INTERLEAVE existing pages

From: Mike Kravetz
Date: Tue May 02 2023 - 12:36:17 EST

On 05/02/23 15:12, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 02-05-23 09:45:40, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> > On 5/1/23 20:58, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> > > I received a question from a customer that was trying to move pages via
> > > the mbind system call. In this specific case, the system had two nodes
> > > and all pages in the range were already present on node 0. They then
> > > called mbind with mode MPOL_INTERLEAVE and the MPOL_MF_MOVE_ALL flag. Their
> > > expectation was that half the pages in the range would be moved to node 1
> > > in an interleaved pattern.
> > >
> > > In the above situation, no pages actually get moved. This is because mbind
> > > creates a list of pages to be moved via:
> > >
> > > ret = queue_pages_range(mm, start, end, nmask,
> > > flags | MPOL_MF_INVERT, &pagelist);
> > >
> > > No page will be added to the list as queue_folio_required is called for each
> > > page to determine if it resides within the set of nodes. And, all page are
> > > within the set.
> > >
> > > I have reread the mbind man page several times and agree that one might
> > > expect MPOL_INTERLEAVE with MPOL_MF_MOVE_ALL to move pages and create an
> > > interleaved pattern. My question is should we:
> > > - Change mbind so that pages are moved to an interleaved pattern?
> >
> > I guess it could be worth trying, if there's a use case. And hope nobody
> > else is depending on the current behavior and will complain afterwards :)
>
> I am not sure this is worth it wrt. complexity. Essentially it would
> require to build up the distribution for the whole range first so 2
> passes. Also it could become more tricky if the final node mask has
> nodes of difference distances (it would be a reasonable expectation to
> distribute withe minimum total distances right ;)).

Yes, I was worried about the complexity of such a change. At a high
level, interleave sounds easy. But, like most things the details
could add a bunch of complexity.

> > > - Update the documentation to be more explicit?
>
> Yes, please. I do not think. While this sounds like a neat feature I
> think the additional complexity is likely not worth it. A strong usecase
> might make a difference though.

Well, this user has a 'work around'. They simply make sure to set the
policy of this area (a shared memory segment) before populating. And,
I don't think they would really be happy with the cost of potentially
migrating hundreds of GB of data.

I'll send out a documentation update.
--
Mike Kravetz