Re: [GIT PULL] x86/mm for 6.4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 28 2023 - 16:15:57 EST

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 1:07 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So here's my suggested change on top of the current tree. Comments?

Oh, and I wanted to particularly mention that

We could probably just do that "check only starting address" for any
arbitrary range size: realistically all kernel accesses to user space
will be done starting at the low address. But let's leave that kind of
optimization for later. As it is, this already allows us to generate
simpler code and not worry about any tag bits in the address.

part of the commit log.

Right now that patch only simplifies the range check for when the
compiler statically knows that the range is small (which does happen,
but not very often, because 'copy_to/from_user()' isn't inlined on
x86-64, so the compiler doesn't actually see the constant size case
that is very common there).

However, that "check the end of the range" is sometimes actually
fairly complicated code, and it would be nice to drop that entirely.

See for example the fs/readdir.c case, where the length of the access
is kind of annoying:

if (!user_write_access_begin(dirent,
(unsigned long)(dirent->d_name + namlen + 1) -
(unsigned long)dirent))
goto efault;

and there really isn't any actual reason to check the end of the
access on x86: if the beginning address has the low bit clear, it
doesn't really matter what the end is, because we'll either have a
good area, or we'll fault in the non-canonical area even if the sign
changes.

So being careful about the range is kind of annoying, when we don't
really need it.

Linus