Re: [GIT PULL] x86/shstk for 6.4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 28 2023 - 14:17:30 EST

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 2:21 PM Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please pull x86/shstk for 6.4. This is the long-awaited Shadow Stack
> support. It is the most highly desired hardware security feature in a
> long time. Both AMD and Intel have (compatible) implementations. It
> has been present on the Intel side since the 11th-gen CPUs, but it had a
> few stumbles on the way and is a bit tardy.

Just letting you know that this is still in my queue, but every time I
look at it, I go "I need to spend more time on understanding this".

So this is one of those pull requests that will be done next week,
after I have gotten everything else off my plate, and I have time to
look more closely into it.

If it can be chopped up into smaller pieces ("this is just the
preliminary work part which is all obvious and clear") that might help
me, but I'll get around to it eventually regardless.

Linus