Re: [GIT PULL] MM updates for 6.4-rc1

From: Suren Baghdasaryan
Date: Fri Apr 28 2023 - 12:03:45 EST

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 8:03 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 3:33 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - Suren Baghdasaryan has improved mmap_lock scalability by switching to
> > per-VMA locking.
>
> .. related to this, we have that new PER_VMA_LOCK_STATS config entry,
> which is 'default y' and has basically no help test.
>
> Please don't do that.
>
> I don't think any of the VM debugging stuff should likely be 'default
> y' in the first place, but if they are, they should most definitely
> have a good *explanation* for why they should be on for a normal user.

Understood.
I wanted these stats enabled by default to be able to identify
possible pathological cases and to also let users disable them if they
can't tolerate even a small overhead in the pagefault path. Should I
document this reasoning for the config option?