Re: [GIT PULL] Driver core updates for 6.4-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Apr 27 2023 - 19:32:51 EST

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 7:21 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Once again, a busy development cycle, with lots of changes happening in
> the driver core in the quest to be able to move "struct bus" and "struct
> class" into read-only memory, a task now complete with these changes.

Well, this also caused a build failure, and I didn't catch it during
the merge, because it only happened on arm64.

The reason it only happens on arm64 is that it is in the CDX bus
driver, and that one has

depends on OF && ARM64

despite apparently building fine on x86-64 too if you were to just add
a "|| COMPILE_TEST" to it.

And I did notice this build failure eventually, since I do arm64
builds on my M2 Macbook Air. But while it's a perfectly cromulent
laptop, it's not like it's a speed daemon. It takes something like ~75
minutes for afull allmodconfig build, so certainly not between each
pull request.

End result: my merge test builds are all done on x86-64, and the arm64
test builds happen much less regularly (ie: typically a couple of
times a day).

I did the obvious fixup, but I can only assume (and hope) that this
was caught by somebody else during the merge window, and that

> All of these have been in linux-next for a while with no reported
> problems.

was just a lie.

Linus