Re: [syzbot] [net?] KASAN: slab-use-after-free Write in mini_qdisc_pair_swap

From: Peilin Ye
Date: Thu Apr 27 2023 - 13:36:40 EST

Hi Pedro, Vlad,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 03:26:03PM +0300, Vlad Buslov wrote:
> On Wed 26 Apr 2023 at 16:42, Peilin Ye <yepeilin.cs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As we can see there're interleaving mini_qdisc_pair_swap() calls between
> > Qdisc A and B, causing all kinds of troubles, including the UAF (thread
> > 2 writing to mini Qdisc a1's rcu_state after Qdisc A has already been
> > freed) reported by syzbot.
>
> Great analysis! However, it is still not quite clear to me how threads 1
> and 2 access each other RCU state when q->miniqp is a private memory of
> the Qdisc, so 1 should only see A->miniqp and 2 only B->miniqp. And both
> miniqps should be protected from deallocation by reference that lockless
> RTM_NEWTFILTER obtains.

Thanks for taking a look!

To elaborate, p_miniq is a pointer of pointer of struct mini_Qdisc,
initialized in ingress_init() to point to eth0->miniq_ingress, which
isn't private to A or B.

In other words, both A->miniqp->p_miniq and B->miniqp->p_miniq point to
eth0->miniq_ingress.

For your reference, roughly speaking, mini_qdisc_pair_swap() does this:

miniq_old = dev->miniq_ingress;

if (destroying) {
dev->miniq_ingress = NULL;
} else {
rcu_wait();
dev->miniq_ingress = miniq_new;
}

if (miniq_old)
miniq_old->rcu_state = ...

On Wed 26 Apr 2023 at 16:42, Peilin Ye <yepeilin.cs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thread 1 A's refcnt Thread 2
> RTM_NEWQDISC (A, locked)
> qdisc_create(A) 1
> qdisc_graft(A) 9
>
> RTM_NEWTFILTER (X, lockless)
> __tcf_qdisc_find(A) 10
> tcf_chain0_head_change(A)
> ! mini_qdisc_pair_swap(A)

1. A adds its first filter,
miniq_old (eth0->miniq_ingress) is NULL,
RCU wait starts,
RCU wait ends,
change eth0->miniq_ingress to A's mini Qdisc.

> | RTM_NEWQDISC (B, locked)
> | 2 qdisc_graft(B)
> | 1 notify_and_destroy(A)
> |
> | RTM_NEWTFILTER (Y, lockless)
> | tcf_chain0_head_change(B)
> | ! mini_qdisc_pair_swap(B)

2. B adds its first filter,
miniq_old (eth0->miniq_ingress) is A's mini Qdisc,
RCU wait starts,

> tcf_block_release(A) 0 |
> qdisc_destroy(A) |
> tcf_chain0_head_change_cb_del(A) |
> ! mini_qdisc_pair_swap(A) |

3. A destroys itself,
miniq_old (eth0->miniq_ingress) is A's mini Qdisc,
(destroying, so no RCU wait)
change eth0->miniq_ingress to NULL,
update miniq_old, or A's mini Qdisc's RCU state,
A is freed.

2. RCU wait ends,
change eth0->miniq_ingress to B's mini Qdisc,
use-after-free: update miniq_old, or A's mini Qdisc's RCU state.

I hope this helps. Sorry I didn't go into details; this UAF isn't the
only thing that is unacceptable here:

Consider B. We add a filter Y to B, expecting ingress packets on eth0
to go through Y. Then all of a sudden, A sets eth0->miniq_ingress to
NULL during its destruction, so packets will not find Y at all on
datapath (sch_handle_ingress()). New filter becomes invisible - this is
already buggy enough :-/

So I think B's first call to mini_qdisc_pair_swap() should happen after
A's last call (in ingress_destroy()), which is what I am trying to
achieve here.

Thanks,
Peilin Ye