Re: [Syzkaller & bisect] There is WARNING in tpm_chip_unregister in upstream patch "tpm: st33zp24: Mark ACPI and OF related data as maybe unused"

From: Krzysztof Kozlowski
Date: Wed Apr 26 2023 - 10:26:32 EST

On 26/04/2023 11:10, Pengfei Xu wrote:
> Hi Jarkko and Krzysztof Kozlowski,
>
> Greeting!
>
> Platform: x86 platforms
>
> There is WARNING in tpm_chip_unregister in upstream patch "tpm: st33zp24: Mark
> ACPI and OF related data as maybe unused":
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230424144130.1084795-1-jarkko@xxxxxxxxxx/
> -> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230319141354.22907-1-krzysztof.kozlowski@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
> We tested Intel internal kernel and found that, the above patch caused below
> WARNING and then kernel BUG dmesg info. After reverted above commit on top
> of Intel internal kernel, this issue was gone.
> I checked that internal commit:"c3985d8b9c22 tpm: st33zp24: Mark ACPI and OF
> related data as maybe unused" was same as above link patch.
> This issue could be reproduced in 155s in VM.

I am trying to reproduce it with mentioned reproducer.

One problem is that commit c3985d8b9c22 (and that patch of mine) was
never in the linux-next. I checked last next releases, including
next-20230421 and there is no such change. It seems it was applied just
before merge window, so was not tested by anything before.

Best regards,
Krzysztof