Regression: w1_therm: sysfs w1_slave sometimes report 85 degrees Celsius

From: Stefan Wahren
Date: Wed Apr 26 2023 - 09:44:56 EST

Hi,

recently we switch on our Tarragon board (i.MX6ULL) to Linux 6.1 and noticed that the connected 1-wire temperature sensors (w1_therm.w1_strong_pull=0) sometimes (~ 1 of 20 times) report 85 degrees Celsius, which is AFAIK the only way to report errors to the 1-wire master:

sys/bus/w1/devices/28-04168158faff# cat w1_slave
50 05 4b 46 7f ff 0c 10 1c : crc=1c YES
50 05 4b 46 7f ff 0c 10 1c t=85000

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue with the old kernel 4.9.

After that i successfully bisected the issue to this commit:
67b392f7b8ed ("w1_therm: optimizing temperature read timings")

Unfortunately this commit contains a lot of independent changes, which makes it hard to figured out the cause of this issue. So i tried to split this patch in seven independent changes [1]. Now i was able to bisect the cause further to this change [2] which seems to rework the pullup handling within read_therm().

Looking closer at the code change and verify it some debug messages, the change inverted the locking behavior (before: no pullup -> keep lock, after: no pullup -> release lock during sleep).

Before:
if (external_power) {
mutex_unlock(&dev_master->bus_mutex);

sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto dec_refcnt;
}

ret = mutex_lock_interruptible(&dev_master->bus_mutex);
if (ret != 0)
goto dec_refcnt;
} else if (!w1_strong_pullup) {
sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto mt_unlock;
}
}

After:
if (strong_pullup) { /*some device need pullup */
sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto mt_unlock;
}
} else { /*no device need pullup */
mutex_unlock(&dev_master->bus_mutex);

sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto dec_refcnt;
}

ret = mutex_lock_interruptible(&dev_master->bus_mutex);
if (ret != 0)
goto dec_refcnt;
}

I don't believe this is intended. After inverting the strong_pullup check, the issue wasn't reproducible on our platform anymore. But i'm not sure this is clean.

Best regards

#regzbot introduced: 67b392f7b8ed

[1] - https://github.com/chargebyte/linux/commits/v6.1-tarragon_w1
[2] - https://github.com/chargebyte/linux/commit/17ca863a32a6a1bdd376959f05c954bef12fc1b5