Re: [GIT PULL 4/4] ARM: SoC devicetree changes for 6.4

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Apr 25 2023 - 17:09:01 EST

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, at 20:21, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 2:06 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> ARM: SoC devicetree changes for 6.4
>
> Hmm. This also has commit e49eabe3e13f ("pinctrl: qcom: Support
> OUTPUT_ENABLE; deprecate INPUT_ENABLE") that doesn't seem to be
> obviously about devicetree changes.
>
> Whatever. I took the pull, but that change looked oddly out of place..

Right, this was a commit that is also in the pinctrl tree, and
Bjorn pulled it into the qcom/dt tree to make sure this can be
properly bisected. As the patch description explains, the driver
did not implement the binding correctly, so changing it like this
at least keeps compatibility in one direction (old DTB with new
kernel) while fixing both the driver and the dts files to work
with the documented binding.

Normally this should not be necessary as long as we keep
compatibility both ways, but I trust that Bjorn was confident
this would not cause problems here.

Arnd