Re: [GIT PULL] EDAC updates for v6.4

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Apr 25 2023 - 13:35:33 EST

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 09:55:14AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So I'm not asking for surgical precision. I'm asking for "reasonable
> workflow", where people avoid doing pointlessly silly things.

As always, I really appreciate elaborating on the whole reasoning behind
this.

While we're on the topic: when we send you tip urgent fixes, we base
each branch off of the current -rc, put the urgent fixes ontop, test,
... and send them to you in a week's time, roughly.

Now, after you've pulled, we could fast-forward the urgent branch to the
next -rc where new fixes come - and I do that most of the time - or we
could not do that because of, as you say, if there's no really good
reason to fast-forward (important other fix, new functionality from the
newest -rc a patch needs, yadda yadda) then those urgent branches do not
necessarily have to be fast-forwarded but simply get more fixes applied
ontop.

Right, that makes sense.

Oh, and I'm sure if a branch is based on what looks like a random point
but there's a good explanation accompanying it why it is based on that
random point, then I guess that's perfectly fine too.

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.