Re: [GIT PULL] pipe: nonblocking rw for io_uring

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Apr 24 2023 - 17:58:48 EST

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And I completely refuse to add that trylock hack to paper that over.
> The pipe lock is *not* meant for IO.

If you want to paper it over, do it other ways.

I'd love to just magically fix splice, but hey, that might not be possible.

But possible fixes papering this over might be to make splice "poison
a pipe, and make io_uring falls back on io workers only on pipes that
do splice. Make any normal pipe read/write load sane.

And no, don't worry about races. If you have the same pipe used for
io_uring IO *and* somebody else then doing splice on it and racing,
just take the loss and tell people that they might hit a slow case if
they do stupid things.

Basically, the patch might look like something like

- do_pipe() sets FMODE_NOWAIT by default when creating a pipe

- splice then clears FMODE_NOWAIT on pipes as they are used

and now io_uring sees whether the pipe is playing nice or not.

As far as I can tell, something like that would make the
'pipe_buf_confirm()' part unnecessary too, since that's only relevant
for splice.

A fancier version might be to only do that "splice then clears
FMODE_NOWAIT" thing if the other side of the splice has not set
FMODE_NOWAIT.

Honestly, if the problem is "pipe IO is slow", then splice should not
be the thing you optimize for.

Linus