Re: the wake-on-lan regression from 6.2 (was: Re: Linux regressions report for mainline [2023-04-16])

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 21 2023 - 16:45:46 EST

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 12:22 PM Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It will get fixed, most likely by reverting the offending commit and
> most likely during the 6.4 merge window.

No.

It's now reverted in my tree.

We're not doing *another* release with this known-broken garbage. It's
been pending for much too long already.

Known-broken commits either

(a) get a timely fix that doesn't have other questions

or

(b) get reverted

Not this kind of "this is broken, has been known to be broken for a
long time, people have bisected it, and we're just sitting here
wondering what to do".

> Note that ACPICA is involved, so the analogous revert needs to be
> submitted there and I'm traveling right now.

No, we're not waiting for "it's broken in the ACPICA tree" and using
that as an excuse to have a broken kernel.

If the ACPICA tree can't get their act together in two months, that's
their problem. It does not mean that users should need to suffer known
issues.

Linus