Re: [RFC v1 1/2] scmi: Introduce pinctrl SCMI protocol driver

From: Oleksii Moisieiev
Date: Fri Apr 21 2023 - 05:49:23 EST

Hi Cristian,

On 21.04.23 12:30, Cristian Marussi wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 08:40:47AM +0000, Oleksii Moisieiev wrote:
>> Hi Peng Fan,

>>> Is it possible to extend the spec to support multilple uint32_t for PIN
>>> CONFIG SET?
>>>
>>> With only one uint32_t could not satisfy i.MX requirement.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peng.
>>>
>> IIUC you are expecting to have an ability to set some kind of array of
>> uint32_t config values to some specific ConfigType?
>>
>> I'm not sure if it's supported by pintctrl subsystem right now. I was
>> unable to find an example in the existing device-tree pinctrl bindings.
>> This makes me think that this kind of binding is OEM specific.
>>
>> Maybe it can be implemented by adding new IDs to OEM specific range
>> (192-255) which is reserved for OEM specific units (See Table 23 of
>> DEN0056E).
>>
> If I understood correctly the aim of Peng multi-valued request, I think
> that even if Linux does not support using this kind of multiple valued
> requests (as of now), if it is useful or required by some of the possibly
> supported hardware, it should be described and allowed by the specification
> and supported by the core SCMI protocol support at least, while the pinctrl
> SCMI driver can ignore this and keep using a one-sized array protocol_ops
> call internally (since it cannot do any different anyway as of now)
>
> IOW I dont think we should model too strictly the SCMI spec against only
> what the Linux pinctrl subsystem support today, since Linux it is just
> really only one of the possible SCMI agents and Linux implementation itself
> can possibly change: it is better to model the spec on the HW requirements
> or the possible usage patterns across all the possibly participating agents.
>
> As an example, for similar reasons, when the SCMI Voltage protocol was added
> to the spec, at the very last minute, a change was made to the spec to allow
> for negative voltages, even though the Linux regulator subsystem was not
> and still is not supporting at all negative voltages as of now; so basically
> the SCMI voltage protocol API now exposes a per-domain flag (negative_volts_allowed),
> that allows any kind of voltage domain to be enumerated and handled at the SCMI
> spec and core layer but that also allows any SCMI driver user, like the SCMI
> Regulator driver, to decide on his own if negative voltages domains can be
> supported: indeed the scmi-regulator driver just skips the initialization of
> any voltage domain that is found to be describing negative voltages.
>
> Here is a bit different, it is more of an optimization in the call path
> than an HW difference, but I would follow the same approach: with the
> SCMI spec and the core SCMI stack (the protocol) that supports a multi-uint32
> call as a general case, if useful for some scenarios, and instead the SCMI
> pinctrl driver that just ignores this possibility and keep using a single-value
> [...]

That sounds reasonable for me, although I can't imagine the use case of
multi-valued config values (most likely this is the problem of my
imagination). So I'd appreciate if Peng Fan could provide us with some
examples.

From my standpoint - ConfigTypes are meant to be simple value because
they are mostly related to the electronic properties. But I agree that
protocol should be platform-agnostic.

It will be great if Peng Fan could provide some examples, so we can
think about the best solution.

Best regards,

Oleksii