Re: Linux regressions report for mainline [2023-04-16]

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Apr 20 2023 - 15:39:45 EST

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 12:02 PM David Sterba <dsterba@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, the main concern is if discard works without destroying data,

I actually ended up googling it, and I'm a lot less worried now,
because at least according to my limited searching it seems like
Windows enables trim by default at least since Win10.

Of course, I also found some conflicting statements claiming that USB
drives aren't considered SSDs, so who knows. But it does seem like
probably new hardware ends up getting tested for trim, and the bad
situation is likely really limited to only the bad old days.

So together with Fedora having apparently enabled timed auto-trimming
for some time, I guess I will just have to believe that the world has
turned into a less dark and scary place than I thought it was.

Knock wood.

Linus