Re: Checking for support of ptrace(PTRACE_SEIZE,...) on older kernels

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Mon Apr 17 2023 - 07:53:46 EST

Well, from https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/ptrace.2.html

ESRCH The specified process does not exist, or is not currently
being traced by the caller, or is not stopped (for
requests that require a stopped tracee).

so if the kernel doesn't support PTRACE_SEIZE then ptrace(PTRACE_SEIZE)
should fail with -ESRCH as documented.

Perhaps this part

EIO request is invalid, or ...

can be improvef a bit to explain that this happens if the target is already
traced by us and stopped.

Oleg.

so in this case ptrace will fail with -ESRCH if called with an invalid request code