Re: [RFC 0/4] convert create_page_buffers to create_folio_buffers

From: Hannes Reinecke
Date: Fri Apr 14 2023 - 09:56:27 EST

On 4/14/23 15:51, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 03:47:13PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
BTW; I've got another patch replacing 'writepage' with 'write_folio'
(and the corresponding argument update). Is that a direction you want to go?

No; ->writepage is being deleted. It's already gone from ext4 and xfs.

Aw.
And here's me having converted block/fops over to using iomap w/ iomap_writepage(). Tough.

Oh well.
Wasn't a great fit anyway as for a sb_bread() replacement we would need a sub-page access for iomap.
Question is whether we really need that or shouldn't read PAGE_SIZE sectors always. Surely would make life easier. And would save us all the logic with bh_lru etc as we can rely on the page cache.

But probably an item for the iomap discussion at LSF.

Unless you got plans already ...

Cheers,

Hannes