Re: Litmus test names

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Sun Apr 09 2023 - 00:29:28 EST

On Sat, Apr 08, 2023 at 08:57:57PM +0200, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

> On 4/8/2023 6:49 PM, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> > FWIW, if I move that smp_mb_after..() a step lower, that also makes the test
> > work (see below).
> >
> > If you may look over quickly my analysis of why this smp_mb_after..() is
> > needed, it is because what I marked as a and d below don't have an hb
> > relation right?
>
> I think a and d have an hb relation due to the
> a ->po-rel X ->rfe Y ->acq-po d
> edges (where X and Y are the unlock/lock events I annotated in your example
> below).

I kind of disagree with that, because if I understand correctly, a ->hb d
means ALL CPUs agree as a universal fact that a happened before d.

Clearly, without the smp_mb(), CPU P2 disagrees that a happened before d.

So the po-rel acq-po doesn't imply a->hb d, IMHO. Correct me if I'm wrong
though with any counter example. ;-)

> Generally, an mb_unlock_lock isn't used to give you hb, but to turn some
> (coe/fre) ; hb* edges into pb edges
>
> In this case, that would probably be
> f ->fre a ->hb* f   (where a ->hb* f comes from a ->hb* d ->hb e ->hb f)
> By adding the mb_unlock_lock_po in one of the right places, this becomes f
> ->pb f,
> thus forbidden.

This I fully agree with. I observed this litmus is actually the R-pattern
with P0 split into 2 CPUs by spltting the thread of execution using a lock
and ordering them with an ->rfe and the exists() clause.

Otherwise it is identical.

In the R-pattern also, you need an smp_mb() between the pair of accesses.

Using the same annotations but instead applying them to the R-pattern, it
looks like:

P0(int *x, int *y)
{
WRITE_ONCE(*x, 1); // a
// Here we need an smp_mb() to order the stores to x and z.
WRITE_ONCE(*z, 1); // d
}

P2(int *x, int *z)
{