Re: [bug-report] possible s64 overflow in max_vruntime()

From: Roman Kagan
Date: Tue Feb 07 2023 - 14:37:47 EST

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 12:10:29PM +0100, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 at 11:00, Roman Kagan <rkagan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Does it mean any threshold between 2 sec and 2^54 nsec should be fine? Because
> > > 1. Any task sleeps longer than 2 sec will get at most 24 ms(sysctl_sched_latency)
> > > 'vruntime bonus' when enqueued.
>
> This means that if a task nice -20 runs on cfs rq while your task is
> sleeping 2seconds, the min vruntime of the cfs rq will increase by
> 24ms. If there are 2 nice -20 tasks then the min vruntime will
> increase by 24ms after 4 seconds and so on ...
>
> On the other side, a task nice 19 that runs 1ms will increase its
> vruntime by around 68ms.
>
> So if there is 1 task nice 19 with 11 tasks nice -20 on the same cfs
> rq, the nice -19 one should run 1ms every 65 seconds and this also
> means that the vruntime of task nice -19 should still be above
> min_vruntime after sleeping 60 seconds. Of course this is even worse
> with a child cgroup with the lowest weight (weight of 2 instead of 15)
>
> Just to say that 60 seconds is not so far away and 2^54 should be better IMHO

If we go this route, what would be the proper way to infer this value?
Looks like

(1ull << 63) / NICE_0_LOAD * scale_load(MIN_SHARES)

Is there any other definition that stipulates the lowest weight to be 2?
Besides, MIN_SHARES is under #ifdef CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED, so the
above expression would require more #ifdef-s.

(That said, I'm still not convinced being math-precise here is
practical, and slightly violating fairness in such a skewed setup is
really something to be afraid of.)

Thanks,
Roman.

Amazon Development Center Germany GmbH
Krausenstr. 38
10117 Berlin
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Christian Schlaeger, Jonathan Weiss
Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Charlottenburg unter HRB 149173 B
Sitz: Berlin
Ust-ID: DE 289 237 879